The Best of Amateur Telescope Making Journal Volume 1
From the Sky and Telescope Review
These books are jam-packed with all kinds of information on all kinds of telescope-making subjects. Volume 1 alone includes topics as diverse as the history of amateur telescope making in Australia, phase-contrast testing, and baffling a Newtonian reflector..
. . . The Best of Amateur Telescope Making Journal is not for the rank beginner, who is likely to find the amassed esoterica confusing and intimidating. Nor is it for someone seeking basic instruction on grinding a mirror for a Newtonian reflector or for building a standard Dobsonian telescope. These books are the literary equivalent of a telescope makerœ’s junk box—a prized collection of bits and pieces squirreled away on the assumption that they will one day be useful for something.
. . . it's a glorious mess of interesting and useful information that every active telescope maker should have on his or her bookshelf.
About This Book
Over a period spanning nearly 10 years Amateur Telescope Making Journal published articles of interest to the telescope maker. The Best of Amateur Telescope Making presents 150 of the best of these articles, fully edited and where appropriate corrected by the original authors, in two volumes totaling nearly 900 pages with 692 illustrations. These are "How to Books" that cover a wide range of subjects of interest to people who design, build and use telescopes for astronomy.
Includes articles about:
- Unobstructed Reflecting Telescopes
- 17.5-Inch Binocular
- A Schupmann Medial Telescope
- A Wood and Aluminum Split-Ring Telescope
- Industrial Fabrication of Small Lenses
- Sub-Aperture Maksutov Correctors
- The Stevick-Paul Off-Axis Reflecting Telescope
- A New Equatorial Platform Design
- The Eye and the Use of Telescope Optics
- Improve Your Telrad
- The Krupa Collimator
- Telescopes For CCD Imaging
- The Maksutov Telescope: Past and Present
- Binocular Collimation
- Tips for the Big Dobsonian Builder
- The Voyager Binocular Telescope
- Veiling Glare
- Making Schmidt Correctors
- YOLO Reflector
- Annular Baffles for Barlow Lenses
- Rangefinders and Stereo Telescopes
|Editor||William J. Cook|